Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Wedding Day 1963

Bret, Mary, Sharon 001 It was a hot August day, the sun was bright and there was no wind. Arney and I had driven all night to get to my parents house in Placerville, California. The little suit my brother is wearing was his Birthday present from the day before. I wanted him to look really good and he did. Sharon with her blonde hair and flowers, she looked so cute. A few weeks before my Mother and I drove to Sacramento to buy me a dress and a few fun things. I was so thin that the smallest dress they had was still  to big for me. So I would have to return when it was ready. I had a 17 inch waste, and didn’t weigh a 100 pounds. There was no sweet smell of flowers, no music to pick, No rice was thrown, but for me it was beautiful because Mama pressed my dress, my little brother Bret had been told to say”are you going on a honeymoon.” My dad got a kick out of my face turning red. Sharon was not really happy, she knew what I knew, we would be going back to Southern California. And nothing in our world would be the same.

My Dad stood next to me, and I don’t think he breathed through the ceremony. He held my had so tight it hurt, but I was so happy to have him share in this day for me.

Two very young people fell in love. We had nothing but just that love. No pots or pans, no flat wear, not even a plate. But we had all we needed, we had hope, trust, and a plan to be the best people we could be.

And like most newlyweds we had some bumps the first few months.

The Bride (me) wanted to be the writer of her own story, she was not interested in being anything more than a wife and mother.  I wanted to be loved and to love…and our day ends with a kiss and a good night. I married my friend.

10 comments:

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Such a sweet story, and the sweetest picture. Thanks for sharing.

Journeyin' Lady... said...

I love the way you told the story of your wedding day.

Janet said...

You told such a sweet story about your wedding. I love the photo.

PS - you had me beat! My waist was 22" when I got married the first time. I think my thigh might be that today!!

Mary Bee said...

Ah Mary. This is such a wonderful memory story of you and Arney. What a treasure you carry with you. You look so beautiful in the picture. So young and innocent and you definitely took the right path. I mean, look at all you and Arney have now. So blessed.

www.guccihandbagsoutlet.org said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sweet Old Vintage said...

A showing of lasting love... Very refreshing and lovely... Blessingd..

The Feathered Nest said...

Dear precious Mary....I always, always love reading what you write!!!! What a beautiful love story, and the way you tell it makes it all the better ~ you are so beautiful girl!!!! I hope all is well with your and your dear friend, hugs and love, Dawn

Lynn Cohen said...

You always (often) make me cry. What a beautiful young tiny waisted bride you were! Love it, not even a plate. I hope you got some wedding gifts to start you on your way. How young were you? You look as young as your waist measurement!

Thanks for sharing.
Happy Anniversary if that is the case.

Kathy said...

Enjoyed your post and the comments too....beautiful story as well as photo.

Barbara Jean said...

Mary
This is so beautiful!!

Thank you for sharing.

blessings
barbara jean