Monday, August 2, 2010

Today

Arney left for work this morning and I was supposed to go to the dentist, but I didn't remember it till it was to late...so today I spent with my friend Brenda in the back yard. Brenda brought her dog Buddy to play with our LB, a play date. I took these pictures a few days ago. The bench that LB is sitting on is very special. This is our child's bench for the Grandkids, but it has been a place that Matti enjoyed and as you can see, it now belongs to LB all by himself. I have pictures of him and Matti sitting on it together too.
The Lavender was really beautiful this year...I cut most of it for indoors so I can smell it all winter too. I make little gifts out of it also.
The Larkspur has been beautiful too...it is now giving it's seeds to the ground for next year. This is a favorite of mine. This has not been a real hot summer. It is in the 90's and then back down to the 80's, but we still have more summer. Our garden is doing really well too. I plan to make a lot of Salsa for winter. I can hardly wait for a real tomato.

Our Raspberries really belong to LB in this patch. We have another one in the front yard for us. Matti and LB took them over a few years ago. At first we thought it was the birds enjoying the sweet fruit until one day we saw them inside the bushes. They looked a little guilty with all that red on there mouth. So we decided to give them the berries.

LB doesn't like me to take his picture...so he didn't smile....



My Mother loved Sweet pea's, she planted them to climb on our porch when I was about 12 years old, and she would talk about how good they smelled coming in the front door. The humming birds love them too.
The rest of my yard is in herbs. I have Thyme, Sage, Oregano, Mint, and the list goes on. It is always a treat to go into the back yard and cut what I need in something I am making. I put in a new Rosemary plant and another Lavender plant this year. I was going to do more but spring was so wet and cold, next year!!!
I am still working on the little cottage pin cushions...I will show them off when they are done. I am having fun with them, buttons and embroidery, fun little touches that bring them to life. I need to be doing other things too, but for now this will do. I hope you are all having a good summer. It will pass so fast. I hate to see it end this year, winter was so long.
I continue to be amazed at finding family from so many generations ago. And when there are stories, it is great. Be back later...Mary




4 comments:

Bandit's Pack said...

What beautiful flowers you have! How sweet that LB is having play dates! He must look forward to those - what a handsome boy he is sitting on the special bench. I'm waiting for some tomatoes, too. And peppers. I've got both but am waiting for them to get bigger and turn color. Wish I had raspberries. I can eat pails full of those! I remember being a kid and being so hungry for dinner at times. If I was told it would be a while yet, I'd run out to the family garden and chow down on raspberries!

Lila Rostenberg said...

I think you live in "garden heaven"... what a delightful place!

Janet said...

Your yard must look and smell heavenly.

You're always so busy making things. Your little cottage pin cushions are adorable.

We each have such different views....I can't wait for winter! It's the summers that are too long for me. It just depends on where you live, I guess.

Celestial Charms said...

Your LB is such a cutie. What a lovely garden he gets to explore. His nose must be working overtime with all the great scents of summer surrounding him.
Such a sweet memory of your Mom...and the sweetpeas!
Maureen