Monday, April 8, 2013
-The Economy was booming- living standards and spending rose.
-They were a time of relief after the devastation of WW1, peace, relaxation and discovery.
- Known as the Roaring 20's - flappers lifestyle was fun, free and flirty
- Popular music included Jazz such as Bix Beiderbecke, Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong & King Oliver
-The Film industry was rapidly growing- silent films featuring charlie chaplin, buster keaton, harry langdon, laurel and hardy and harold lloyd were very popular.
- Some women were 'flappers' they smoked, drank and were hedonistic- they often had cropped, bobbed hair, wore heavy makeup, short dresses and danced the popular dances such as The Charleston, Shimmy & Bunny Hug
- Sadly the Great Depression swept across the states in the 1930s as a result of the 1929 stock market crash on Wall St , the partying lifestyle of the flapper could not survive in the same way as it had in the twenties.
- Although the 1920s are long gone, I firmly believe that they were a fabulous time and the spirit of the flapper remains in society today- women were liberated in the 1920s and so for that I must thank the flappers of the roaring 20's they are a fine example of free and independant women.
-The 1920s looked so much fun, I don't think they'll ever be forgotton.